I have seen quite a few articles about how to add or import items into a list from a CSV file, but have had a hard time tracking down one to allow me to update an already existing list item based on a unique identifier in the list.  Here is an example I used recently to achieve this with the unique identifier being the employee number

Whilst attempting to make use of the Managed Metadata service application in SharePoint 2013 to make use of the new Managed Navigation features, I ran into an annoying problem where any time that I attempted to make a new group via the browser using the Site Settings Term store management I would get the following error:

The current user has insufficient permissions to perform this operation

I ensured that my user account, the SharePoint Timer service account were all added to the Term Store administrators.

It turns out that the Web Application Pool Service account (in my case sp_site_ap) needs write access to the Term store via the Service Application Permissions:



Once I had given at least Read and Restricted Write access I was then able to update the term store freely.

So whilst in the process of attempting to install the March PU for SharePoint 2013, the SharePoint Technologies Config wizard seemed to be taking a very long time to complete.  So long in fact that it never completed and just seemed to be hung on Step 9 of 10, upgrading SharePoint 2013.

Looking at the pcsdiagnostic logs there were a lot of the following events,  and pretty much nothing else:

SyncUpgradeTimerJob: sleeping for 10 seconds

Read more

Sometimes, and for a seemingly random selection of users, SharePoint will display a user as Domain/User rather than using the Preferred display name.  So for example instead of Displaying my name as Neil Cummings, it will show as SharePoint/ncummings. 

One way to resolve this is to reset the sync DB by running the following commands:

stsadm -o sync -listolddatabases 0
stsadm -o sync -deleteolddatabases 0
stsadm -o sync -synctiming m:1
stsadm -o sync

This is non-destructive and may resolve the problem.

So recently a customer had an issue where whenever a user attempted to Upload a document, complete some MetaData fields and click ‘Save’ or ‘Check In’, instead of the form closing and the document being added to the library the browser attempted to Open the document and left them in the form, rather than redirecting them back to the library. Read more

So after spending an hour or so attempting to connect to a SQL 2008 R2 Reporting Services instance, which was hosted on the same server as an existing SQL Server 2012 Reporting Server Instance, I discovered that no matter which combination of Server name / Instance name or even SQL Alias I used, I simply was not able to make a connection to the 2008 Reporting Services through the 2008 Configuration manager.

I was able to make a connection to the 2012 Reporting Service via the 2012 Reporting Service Configuration manager though.  Not what I needed. 

Stopping the SQL 2012 RS service did not resolve, and the only resolution I could find was to uninstall SQL 2012 Reporting Services via Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel – which fortunately was installed but not needed on this occasion.

Conclusion:  SQL 2008 and SQL 2012 do not play nicely together on the same server, regardless of whether they are named instances or not :/

A customer of ours wanted to achieve this and pointed out an article on MSDN that suggested this was possible.  The article is here:

The following paragraph from this article suggests this is possible:

Extending eDiscovery to Span a Multisite Collection Repository

You can extend eDiscovery to support search and hold operations that span multiple sites. You can specify that you want to search all available site collections, query that scope, and place a hold on all search results from the multiple site collection scope. Read more

So I encountered this error when attempting to save a Site as a template.  In the ULS logs the following was recorded:

SPSolutionExporter: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSolutionExporter.ExportListViews(SPList list, XmlWriter schemaWriter, ListExportSummaryInfo summaryInfo)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSolutionExporter.ExportList(SPList list)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSolutionExporter.ExportLists() Read more

So I recently came across this error whilst trying to solve a problem with a customer Search Service.  This produces an error with pretty much all search queries.

Internal server error exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException1[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]: The network path was not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070035) (Fault Detail is equal to An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The network path was not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070035)
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.KeywordQueryInternal.Execute()    Read more