Archive for May, 2013

Sometimes, and for a seemingly random selection of users, SharePoint will display a user as Domain/User rather than using the Preferred display name.  So for example instead of Displaying my name as Neil Cummings, it will show as SharePoint/ncummings. 

One way to resolve this is to reset the sync DB by running the following commands:

stsadm -o sync -listolddatabases 0
stsadm -o sync -deleteolddatabases 0
stsadm -o sync -synctiming m:1
stsadm -o sync

This is non-destructive and may resolve the problem.

So recently a customer had an issue where whenever a user attempted to Upload a document, complete some MetaData fields and click ‘Save’ or ‘Check In’, instead of the form closing and the document being added to the library the browser attempted to Open the document and left them in the form, rather than redirecting them back to the library. Read more

So after spending an hour or so attempting to connect to a SQL 2008 R2 Reporting Services instance, which was hosted on the same server as an existing SQL Server 2012 Reporting Server Instance, I discovered that no matter which combination of Server name / Instance name or even SQL Alias I used, I simply was not able to make a connection to the 2008 Reporting Services through the 2008 Configuration manager.

I was able to make a connection to the 2012 Reporting Service via the 2012 Reporting Service Configuration manager though.  Not what I needed. 

Stopping the SQL 2012 RS service did not resolve, and the only resolution I could find was to uninstall SQL 2012 Reporting Services via Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel – which fortunately was installed but not needed on this occasion.

Conclusion:  SQL 2008 and SQL 2012 do not play nicely together on the same server, regardless of whether they are named instances or not :/